Thursday, January 24, 2008

Getting Through

So in my job I spend all day working with mentally ill kids trying to help them gain insight and learn how to deal with the problems in their lives, but for the most part they struggle to understand what I am teaching them. Today was a pretty good day though because I actually got through to one of my kids today! It was awesome. I spend several hours a week with these kids and even though they know the rules and do what I ask them, even with the occasional tantrum or really bad day, I don't often get to see that "aha" moment of them getting something that I have been working with them on for a while. It is an amazingly cool feeling to know that after all those hours that you put in something finally gets through to them. Not to say that what I do with them every time I meet with them is useless, but it does take a while for them to get the concepts because they are kids. So yeah, that was pretty great!

1 comment:

Mark said...

How fun to reach those kids Jess! it takes someone special like you for sure - thanks for being the one to make the difference in other peoples lives!!!!